I saw an offer I couldn't refuse on reddit, a PowerPC (PPC) Mac Mini and Logitech mouse and keyboard used for $100. After a week of mulling the idea over, I had to have it.
It came with OS X 10.5.6 which was upgradeable to 10.5.8. However, to get the partition setup I wanted, I had to reformat. This meant going back to 10.4 since I don't have the 10.5 disks. I'm installing Debian 7.7 now, since that's been updated in 2014. The machine only has 512MB of RAM, so I'll be looking to upgrade that. And might throw in an SSD so it doesn't drive me too insane.
Reasons for buying this are getting experience with the PPC architecture (diminishing returns, I realize, with this type of CPU being phased out). Also, getting more experience with OS X, since I've previously only developed for iOS (worked on OS X, but not for it). Why'd I'd want "experience" with PPC is because it's different from x86, different endianness, performance characteristics, etc.. This allows me to test my programs across a wider variety of platforms and architectures.
Who knows if I'll have time in the coming months to work much with it (working full-time on Star Citizen and all), but I'm sure I'll have some fun with it eventually. :)
I finally decided to improve this site! I'm getting rid of the default theme and making it a bit more interesting, making it more coder friendly.
I've chosen the Wazi Habari theme to work off of. It's simple, and brings content to the forefront. That said, it's lacking in a decent sidebar, social header, decent footer, and a search system. So I'm cannibalizing parts of the Charcoal theme, which I've done already with the menu up top. I did rip out the Charcoal search, though it needs to be seriously reformated. I also need to rework the search result page.
Another reason I like this theme is that it actually has page numbers. You can more easily navigate between previous posts instead of having to hit back many times until you get to where you want.
The new code block color scheme is based off of the Sublime Text base16-eighties-dark, and will be undergoing more work. As a coder I'll try to make the code block a little more useful than it is. I've at least made sure the page expands a bit more to make room for the content. I'm also using the monospace font stack from CSS-Tricks.
I'm trying to make this site more modern and clean, bringing the content to attention. This means I have to improve the formatting of the content, and possibly make some tools to help me with that.
The changes you see thus far are in alpha, please feel free to give me feedback on the direction of this site. :)
I figure since I posted about my last company, IllFonic deserves of it's own recognition.
IllFonic was for a while a small startup company that's been around since 2007, having it's ups and downs as their publisher and partner, THQ, went under. They've been trying to find their place in the industry since, and I'm happy to say I'm lucky to be here. Nothing is announced yet, but IllFonic has been working on a number of contracts and has steadily grown from about 10 to 40 people in a year! This company is going places, as shown by their skilled use of CryENGINE that attracts contractors.
I'm a mid-level gameplay programmer, and only time will tell what other cool things I'll get to work on while I'm here. Because I think it's safe to say, even the founders have been surprised at what has come their way.
This site is running Habari, a state-of-the-art publishing platform! Habari is a community-driven project created and supported by people from all over the world. Please visit http://habariproject.org/ to find out more!
I'm sorry about the links still being down, I've just been super busy with work, doing 12 hour days for the last 2 weeks, even having to work last weekend. I do really want to try to kick start this blog, though it's not going to happen over night. It will be a process that I need to ease into, to try to become a better blogger, and become more efficient at it. I also need to try to become a better writer, invest more time in my posts, simplifying them and trying not to be too verbose. Anyway, I have lots to do, and the blog is sort of a last priority, given I want to work with Irrlicht and have some time to play video games and relax when I can find the time.
Anyway, I've updated my most popular programming posts to use Google Code Prettify, the other ones will be cleaned up at some point. On those same posts I've struck out the downloads since they're no longer available. I will be going back and updating this popular posts to use my most up-to-date knowledge, though I will leave a few in tact for historical reasons, like the original Vector2 post (though I would like to put my new improved version up so people stumble across that first).
I do hope to have my blog evolve into something greater, so I hope picking to restart with Habari is a sign of that, and that things will only get better.
Mental note: When moving Habari from another directory, I had to make sure to update the htaccess file, as shown here. My RewriteBase rule was still pointing to the sub directory.
I apologize for the inconvenience, but all of my internal links are broken, due to my Wordpress installation being compromised, as indicated by my host NameCheap.
I do have a backup of everything, so nothing was lost. To be on the safe side, however, I'm not restoring WordPress in it's entirety; instead deciding to start from scratch in the hopes that whatever weakness was there, in an installed theme or plugin, will be left behind.
I will at some point get around to restoring all of the links, and in the mean time will do a little cleaning up. I also have some new projects I'll be making posts about, including an open source tool I'm starting up for game developers like myself. Good night all. *salute*